Make this classic takeout treat at home for a quick, easy low-carb meal: chicken sauteed in a skillet with still-crunchy green beans and herbs, finished with slivered almonds in a light tasty sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
● 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
● 4 pieces chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
● Salt and pepper
● 1 onion, chopped
● 2 cloves garlic, minced
● Pinch red chili flakes
● 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
● 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, minced
● 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
● 1 tablespoon chickpea flour (optional)
● 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
● 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed and sliced in half
● 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet with high sides over medium-high heat. Season
chicken with salt and pepper and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned. Remove
onto a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add onion and cook until translucent,
about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic, red chile flakes,
thyme and tarragon and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Nestle chicken pieces back into the pan and pour in any accumulated juices. Add
chicken broth and gently stir to combine. Increase heat to a simmer and cook to reduce
sauce, about 10 to 12 minutes. Slowly whisk in chickpea flour to thicken, if needed.
When there are 2 to 3 minutes left of cooking time, add green beans in an even layer to
skillet and cook until bright green and still crunchy. Season with salt and pepper, and
add lemon juice, to taste.
Serve chicken and green beans sprinkled with slivered almonds.