Beef zucchini boats are a great way to stick to a healthy diet—like the 8-Day Jumpstart —while thoroughly enjoying what you get to eat! With plenty of flavor, fresh crunch from nutrient-rich zucchini (more on that later!), and protein-packed lean beef, this may just be our favorite zucchini recipe to date.
But don’t just take our word for it—try these easy-to-make diet-approved beef zucchini boats for yourself!
Beef Zucchini Boats
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories: 309 / Fat: 15g / Protein: 37g / Carbs: 8g
- 3 zucchinis, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 C red bell pepper, diced
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Scoop out inside of zucchini, and set aside in small bowl.
- Place zucchini boats into bottom of 9”x13” baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 10 minutes until zucchini softens.
- Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini innards and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook another minute.
- Add ground beef and brown about 8 minutes, then drain any fat.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon beef mixture into zucchini and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Is Zucchini Low Carb And Keto Approved?
Zucchini is definitely a low carb vegetable. In fact, at just 3 carbs per zucchini, it is one of the most versatile and common keto-approved veggies.
Zucchini is popular for its mild taste and ability to take on the flavor of other foods, herbs, and spices it is prepared with. Like with these beef zucchini boats, the zucchini itself plays a background role, albeit an important one as it adds so much freshness and a bit of crunch in a dish that is so high in protein and good fat.
Another way zucchini is commonly used in the keto diet is by swapping out pasta for zucchini noodles or “zoodles,” like in some of our favorite recipes—Zucchini Noodles with Kale Chicken Pasta and Garlic Chicken with Sauteed Zucchini Noodles.
Just remember, no matter how you choose to enjoy your zucchini, being low carb is only one of its many desirable benefits.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Zucchini?
Zucchini packs a load of wonderful health benefits. Aside from being full of fiber and low in carbs, zucchini provides plenty of important vitamins and nutrients. Let’s break them down.
- Fiber—helps regulate digestion and can limit gastrointestinal issues
- Folate—key for healthy cell growth and metabolism support
- Potassium—plays an important role in muscle and nerve function
- Vitamin A—vital for cell growth, healthy vision, and immunity support
- Vitamin B6—regulates blood sugar and could even protect against diabetes
- Antioxidants—zeaxanthin and lutein are important for eye health as they protect against blue light wavelengths and may even play a role in preventing cataracts
It’s obvious that enjoying a diet rich in healthy vegetables like zucchini can be extremely beneficial for your health. But it’s not just what zucchini gives that makes it such a great option for adding to a healthy diet.
Is Zucchini Good For Weight Loss
Zucchini can also be a powerful tool in taking things from you...things like unwanted pounds!
Okay, but seriously—zucchini is good for weight loss. Because of its high water and fiber content, zucchini can help you feel fuller longer and aid in healthy digestion which is always helpful on a successful weight loss journey. But zucchini is also a low-carb and low-calorie food that pairs well with so many things that it’s easy to put in place of far less diet-worthy options.
Trust us, with recipes like these beef zucchini boats on the menu, you’ll be motivated to stay on track and see healthy weight loss results with your 8 Day Jumpstart and beyond.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Boats?
Now, we know that once you’ve tasted these delicious beef zucchini boats you’re going to want them often. They come together fairly easily and they’re perfect to make in greater quantities. But if you’re feeling ambitious and thinking you want to make a large batch to freeze for some quick dinner in the future, make sure you heed this one important tip:
Opt for only preparing the meat mixture to freeze. Because of zucchini’s high water content, it tends to be mushy coming out of its frozen state. Which would be great for using in soups or sauces, but does not make for a good batch of beef zucchini boats. So stick with fresh zucchini and either a fresh or frozen-then-thawed meat mixture for this recipe and you’ll always get the best results.
If you’re looking for more great tasting meals, you’ll want to check out these other 8-Day Jumpstart Recipes. Each one is designed to accompany the Xyngular 8-Day Jumpstart program, which prepares your body to lose weight fast.*
*Lose up to 15 pounds in 8 days. Lose an additional 1-2 pounds or more each week following the 8-day jump start. Results are not guaranteed and can vary.