Get your keto on with this delicious, easy-to-prepare, one-dish meal, featuring oven-roasted veggies that are baked with sliced pork sausage and topped with melted mozzarella cheese.
Sausage and Veggie Bake Recipe
Calories: 417 Fat: 29.8g Protein: 22.8g Carbs: 16.6g
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Sausage and Veggie Bake Ingredients
● 1 red onion
● 1 zucchini, ends trimmed
● 1 yellow squash, ends trimmed
● 1 orange bell pepper
● 1 red bell pepper
● 1 pound green beans, trimmed
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● Salt and pepper
● 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced and divided
● 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped and divided
● 1 pound pork sausage, in casings, sliced
Sausage and Veggie Bake Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the red onion into large slices and place them in a large bowl. Dice the zucchini, squash, and bell peppers into 1-½” pieces and add to bowl.
2. Add green beans to the bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon each of basil and parsley. Stir well to combine.
3. Pour the vegetables onto a greased 9x13” baking pan. Nestle the sausage slices in between the vegetables and top with the grated mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are lightly browned. Top with the remaining herbs and serve.
What Veggies Go With Sausage?
The magic of sausage is that it pairs well with any vegetable that you have on hand. Open your refrigerator and pull open that vegetable drawer because this is your chance to utilize all the veggies that caught your eye at the farmers market last weekend. Anything from broccoli, potatoes, peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, carrots, celery, and more, sausage is universally appealing to the vegetable family.
Is Baked Sausage Healthy?
Sausage is a versatile food and is able to be cooked in many ways. Baking and boiling sausage is considered to be the healthiest ways to cook this dinner staple as it doesn’t involve any oil. However, as long as you choose a healthy oil, pan-frying and stir-frying are also considered excellent preparation options. Deep frying sausage, however, is generally considered to be a health no-no.
How Do I Cook Sausage In The Oven?
Turn your oven to 350 degrees and place your sausage on a baking sheet or a heatproof baking dish. Although the size of sausages can vary, the general cooking time for baked sausage is a minimum of twenty-five minutes. Check your oven regularly and roughly every ten minutes, use kitchen tongs to rotate your sausage to ensure even cooking. You will be able to tell that your sausage is ready when the outside of the sausages turn a deep golden brown with no sign of pink on the inside. Any juices that are running from the sausage should be clear.